californiaflagnowriting

We's in California

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Oops, I Have a Web Log

Today upon finishing my daily after-work Van Nuys ritual of checking my apartment for people that aren't supposed to be inside the apartment, I was suddenly inspired to go to Dayna's work, get the camera from the car, and put some stuff up on the web log. I took some pictures on 4 block ride back home.

I didn't believe Dayna's stories about how
many sidewalk couches there were on her way to work. I saw them and I still don't believe it.




Did I say sidewalk couches? I meant sidewalk computers.





Some English person fighting the power. Look carefully. I fought the power already twice this week when I specified my Starbucks coffee size in English not Latin. Hey that's one letter away from Latino. Coincidence? Yes.








This sign is for a corner cell phone store. It actually says "No ID Required!" in Spanish in big letters. Ok?

We went to Winnipeg shorty after the last post for two weeks which was great. Since being back in Van Nuys I haven't posted anything because after putting up with my shennanigans for two weeks I didn't think anyone cared. Turns out they don't, but my mom is getting anxious so here it is.












We missed an apparently insane California heat wave that was hotter than a Chinese toilet and this is what our plants looked like when we got back.

















But it was worth it because we got to see this.











And this.












And this.


Home Hardware.
Canada Post.
The horizon.

It was great.

8 Comments:

  • Gareth, I noticed a value village bag sitting near my front door and so one day I finally picked it up and opened it. There was clothes... Calvin Cline, Hanes, Vanderbilt, and a few t-shirts.
    Are you missing these?
    Shall I sent them?

    P.S. when the blog's alive, I know you're alive...I was starting to worry.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 24, 2006  

  • Let me get this straight.

    You have to make sure that there aren't strangers in your apartment when you get home, yet you had to "get the camera from the car" to take some pictures? Is the car really a safer place to store your camera than your apartment? Rough neighborhood.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 25, 2006  

  • zing


    regards.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 25, 2006  

  • You said you fought the power by ordering your coffee in English not latin...ummmm don't you mean Spanish. Cmon get it right!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 25, 2006  

  • Venti, Grande, etc. That's latin no?

    And there's no such language as Spanish, Spanish is a country and Latino is the language.

    By Blogger Gareth, at August 25, 2006  

  • Italian...it's italian for god's sake. Idiots.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 28, 2006  

  • Yeah, Italian. But Latin was a good guess. That's marginally closer to Italian than Spanish is, since both Latin and Italian originated in the same place.

    By Blogger Scott, at September 23, 2006  

  • Wow. Now that's some flat land. I bet you could sit on your porch and watch your dog run away for three days straight.

    Parliament meets in that building with the funny fan on top in the first picture, right? (Over there in downtown Canada.)

    I'm a city boy. LA seems hopelessly suburban to me, except maybe parts of downtown and Mid-City. New York is much more my style (and they have better transit).

    Also, sidewalk furniture is definitely not limited to Van Nuys. I have a not-so-fond recollection of being hard up and needing a table and going cruising in Beverly Hills on trash day.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home