californiaflagnowriting

We's in California

Monday, September 11, 2006

The Mighty LA River.

The LA river is a river to behold. From Canoga to Compton it carries food, hope, and used needles to those who live downstream. Looking at the LA river makes me think of what a normal river would look like after a nuclear holocaust. I think if I were to be on an environment committee that went around to schools and set up displays about preserving the environment, all I would do is bring a giant picture of the LA river on a poster board. I realize that there are 15 million people in LA and any resources the city has should be put toward essential services, but it seems as though they've just given up on this eyesore. I suppose I'm amazed that water even comes out our tap when we turn it on. Flying over LA on a clear day, you can see massive resevoires somewhere northeast of the city and I for one am grateful.

Last week I was filling out a form at the bank and didn't know the date so I turned to ask the other person at the table and it was Sinbad. He told me it was the 8th. I continue filling out my form and when I got to the counter, the teller said everything looked fine except the date was wrong and that it was the 7th, meaning I had to fill in the form again. I asked her "Is that Sinbad?" She told me that indeed it was and that "...he comes in here all the time." To which I replied "Well then are you sure because, you know, Sinbad over there told me it wa the 8th". To no avail, I had to waste another 10 minutes.

14 Comments:

  • holy crap,
    did you ask him to go get a big mac with you? tremendous.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 12, 2006  

  • That's amazing. Was he wearing hammer pants? This tops my Sylvia Kuzyk sighting the other day.

    -erin

    By Blogger Erin and Rob, at September 12, 2006  

  • Was she with Bobby Hull? If so, then I think that tops Sinbad.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 12, 2006  

  • but sinbad in houseguest, does it get any better? or necessary roughness? solid performance.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 12, 2006  

  • 'member when Terminator drove his motorcycle in the LA river...

    I wonder if Sinbad signs his cheques, "Sinbad"?!

    By Blogger Steve & Gillian, at September 12, 2006  

  • Time for a reality check...taken a dip in the Red lately? Same sh_t, more of it. And there are people in the city who actually desire (this part kills me) "waterfront" property. Condo units on the rim of a toilet...nice.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 12, 2006  

  • Sinbad was not wearing hammer pants, but he was wearing flip flops and a pair of sweat shorts that ended a full 4 inches above the knee. He looked like the laziest man in LA county, which puts him in the running for laziest world wide.

    Steve it's weird because now the Terminator is sort of in charge of what happens to that river. That's weird.

    By Blogger Gareth, at September 12, 2006  

  • The river isn't that low because we're all drinking out of it. It's just that low.

    We get almost all of our drinking water from the Owens River (300 miles north) or the Colorado River (200 miles east) as well as some artesian wells in the local area.

    The concrete ditch that the LA River has become is ugly as sin, but we'd be flooding out ever 5 years without it. It was built around 1935, allowing for bad car chase scenes in action movies from that point onward.

    By Blogger Scott, at September 23, 2006  

  • They're creating a park behind my house in the Tujunga Wash, theoretically. It's supposed to be all pretty and have plants and a little stream that purifies the water (*coughBULLSHITcough*) on the west side of the wash, and they're gonna replace all our back fences.

    And then we can have random people walking behind our house. Yeah.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 26, 2006  

  • Hey Gareth. Haven't seen you in ages, but I'm weighing in on this one, but only to bust you for quoting that guy with the wicked 'stash in the pure work of art the Cohen brothers pieced together, that the laziest man in LA county, etc, is most certainly, The Dude.

    Graeme

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 09, 2006  

  • Hey Gareth. Haven't seen you in ages. I'm weighing in on this one, but only to bust you for quoting that guy with the wicked 'stash in the pure work of art the Cohen brothers pieced together, that the laziest man in LA county, etc, is most certainly, The Dude.

    Graeme

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 09, 2006  

  • Graeme is girl's name.

    By Blogger Gareth, at October 20, 2006  

  • A girl's name, eh? Yeah, well, it's a good thing I'm thousands of miles away, cause I'd... get my wife, who makes a pretty mean fist, to lay down a little smack...

    By Blogger Graeme and Myra, at October 26, 2006  

  • You should smack your wifes ass!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 01, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home