californiaflagnowriting

We's in California

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

It's Art, Stupid!

This weekend we went to the J Paul Getty Center. It's a museum/art gallery/architectural chef d'oeuvre that houses works that span from the Mesopotamians (whose ancestors we now call "insurgents", little known fact) right up to contemporary photographers. Some call them insurgents as well. The neat thing is that the whole project is privately funded by the late Mr J Paul Getty. There's no entrance fee and I didn't even see a donation jar anywhere. That's awesome. I hate it when people ask for donations. It's so stupid.

It's actually quite amazing and in my opinion important when someone with money takes it upon themselves to create something beautiful like this for the betterment of their city and society in general instead of leaving it for family to squabble over. (Although apparently they still do).

At the base of the Santa Monica mountain range a tram takes you toward the top, where the center sits overlooking the entire city. It was was one of those eerie smog-free days in LA, which put a nice touch on the afternoon. The exhibits were great. Dayna and I went to quite a few large museums and art galleries in Europe this past summer so we went as fast as we could through most of the ancient and historical exibits, trying to feel as little guilt as possible. You can tell when people really don't want to see certain works of art but they walk just slow enough so the other people don't catch them being unappreciative. We've all been there. Every 5 minutes you lean in closer to a 16th century masterpiece, point at it a bit, whisper something like "Hmmmm, yes. This is definitly a painting of some sort." But really you're just trying to get out of there because you're sure they're about to run out of those hot pretzels they were selling in the foyer.

Our hands-down favorite was the Julius Shulman 'Modernica and the Metropolis' architectural photography exhibit. Most of his pictures where of buildings done by two of most awesomist architects of the 20th century: Richard Neutra and Pierre Koenig. It's pretty obvious that half of the draw of the Getty Center is the architecture of the center itself.

All in all a must-see if you're ever unfortunate enought to find yourself in Los Angeles. It's exactly like the Museum of Man and Nature except...who am I kidding, it's exactly the same!

The election just finished before I posted this. I quizzed a few people at work and asked them to guess what's going on in Canada today. I'd say about than half of them knew, which is actually more than I thought. Our new PM's name is Stephen or Steve for short. I think his only weakness is that he always looks like he's giving you what Kramer would refer to as the "stink eye". Wow his eyes are weird. It will be interesting to follow the Canadian and (lack of) US media coverage as Canada comes to grips with a leader whose eyes are just super super weird.

" Hello, Hello, My name's Terry and I'm a law-abider" - the streets

22 Comments:

  • That’s “Mr. Steve”. And there ain’t no problem the Men in Black look can’t solve.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 24, 2006  

  • It's strange that the front page of the Globe and Mail today says nothing about the election. Instead it claims that Stephen Harper is contemplating growing a moustache similar to Jack Layton's to draw the attention away from his piercing devil glare and towards his superbly shaped upper lip instead. He figures it helped Layton gain seats in the House so maybe it'll help Canadians warm up to him as well. I can just picture it now...Harper with a moustache.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 24, 2006  

  • Funny, I can think of another conservative political leader who had a famous moustache, back around the late 1930s and early 1940s.

    At least it's a minority government, so they can't just wreak their will on everybody.

    I wish we had a parliamentary system in the US, where we could have a no-confidence vote and throw that son of a Bush and his government of the willing-but-unable out on their religious asses.

    (No, I'm not bitter. Why do you ask?)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 24, 2006  

  • FYI, those "eerie smog-free days" are pretty common in January, February and March. Why it even RAINS during that time. And it does so EVERY YEAR, in spite of every idotic newscaster coming on every January and loudly proclaiming "Weird Weather!" and "Storm Watch 2006!" whenever we get a good soaking. They've got the memory capacity of a walnut.

    By Blogger Scott, at January 24, 2006  

  • Harper should shave himself the JL skullet and say the words "working families" more. And Scott where's your sense of making news out of nothing, you obviously don't watch enough of Wolf Blizter's "THE SITUATION ROOM!"...duh, duh, duhyour webpage is pretty funny.

    By Blogger Gareth, at January 24, 2006  

  • the jl skullet..elaborate

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 24, 2006  

  • Jack Layton. I guess it's not really a skullet. He's just kind of bald on top. I may have of overreached on that one. Thanks for keeping me in check Chris.

    Wow I replied like 10 minutes after you. That's kind of lame.

    By Blogger Gareth, at January 24, 2006  

  • Dude, a couple of years ago we turned on channel 7 and they were doing extreme close-ups of a gutter in Long Beach to prove that it had rained that day. Five people probably were killed in LA and Orange Counties that day but the lead story was the proof of rain.

    How sad is that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 24, 2006  

  • Does the the Getty-thing house the Nonsuch? The Museum of Man and Nature has a near replica of the Nonsuch, the 8-gun vessel was constructed in Essex, England in 1650 and was responsible for the founding of the Hudson's Bay Company in 1667. I've been on the Nonsuch several times during elementary school field trips. The sailors slept in bunk beds that were like 4 1/2 to 5 feet long because for some reason people were shorter back then. A lot of people use this blog to explain the history of things. I'm not actually smart, I didn't know this information, I looked it up on the internet and copied what it said. Also, I thought that the Museum of Man and Nature had to change its name because the use of just "Man" in its name is sexist. Wait a minute, I just looked it up on that internet thing and it is actually now called the Manitoba Museum.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 24, 2006  

  • gareth i got a new job, im selling commercial insurance to large and medium sized businesses. Chris Campbell hooked me up. I think itll be fun. then i can buy some of those cars you seen in Coulbassa every day...isn't that a sausage?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 24, 2006  

  • Yes, Chris, I believe it is a sausage. Very delicious. Especially when it's barbequed and then placed between two peices of bread with a little bit of mustard

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 24, 2006  

  • CHRIS! Nice work there guy! I'm happy for you. You'll want to spend the next week or two shopping for that perfect office coffee mug and a nice new set of slacks. Go get em. And when I first read your last comment I thought you came up with a new expression, for example:

    Me: "Chris, did you win the hockey game?"
    You: "No."
    Me: "Man, isn't that sausage."

    By Blogger Gareth, at January 24, 2006  

  • Since we are talking about new jobs, CJOB hired me. Now I actually work there part time, training to run the board. $10/hr for 2 days a week. It's money and experience, but I can't help but feel the 'OB is getting their hooks in me. In June I'm gonna cut loose and go to CBC, or Power97, can't decide.

    'used to wear glasses, now he wears contacts; unfrozen caveman look over the contracts' - MF DOOM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 24, 2006  

  • Sausage? As a new catchphrase?

    That's so Donahue.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 25, 2006  

  • Blade, I'm a recruiter for a radio station here in Winnipeg, and I'm gonna be honest with you, I like your style. Drop me a line, we'll go to Montana's and talk about your future with the station. And bring your drinkin' hat you son of a bitch!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 25, 2006  

  • OK that was me. There is no interview. But congrats that's pretty good no? You officially get paid to do something in the big M: media. Cool.

    By Blogger Gareth, at January 25, 2006  

  • You sure didn't let the joke go on very long, did you Gareth? I was just going to put on that drinking hat (my toupee) and head out. I wouldn't have worked for QX unless they played Table 9 every hour... or at least MF Doom.

    "Wreak havoc
    Beep beep it's mad traffic"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 25, 2006  

  • Hey, can you dropkick Charles Adler in the spine for me? Thanks.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 26, 2006  

  • Gareth, im working for a company called Hayhurst, Elias, Dudek, or HED for short. Im going to be working in the Commercial Insurance department selling to small and medium sized businesses. Its gonna be pretty rad, i get base salary plus commission, a notebook and a cell phone. Im starting on the 6th of feb. Im gonna go look for slacks right away. right, the coffee mug is key, its the first impression, any suggestions?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 27, 2006  

  • I would like to kick Adler in the spine, but it might not do anything. He is built like one of those punching bag blow up clowns, or maybe Grimace. A really strong base. I already "met" him twice because he didn't remember me. Can you believe it? I can.

    "slip like freudian, ya first an last step to playin yourself like accordian"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 27, 2006  

  • Hey guys, I joined the conversation pretty late , but I also would like to dropkick Adler in the spine, however I'm with Blade and don't think it would be all that effective. More importantly, I was stoked to get the card and baby stuff this week that you'd dropped off at Christmas. This was when I also learned about your blog, which I am now a regular reader. Dayna, the hat and booties are seriosly the cutest thing ever and she will be sporting them home from the hospital. (probably in the next few weeks!) And Garreth, I don't think any less of you for our last memory of you in Winnipeg. Rob's still working through his feelings about it, but I told him it's not right to judge others. You guys are awesome and I'm glad California's been good. We'll send you some pictures in the next few weeks.
    - Erin

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 30, 2006  

  • Erin,
    I'm so glad you liked the baby stuff, I can't believe it took so long to get to you, maybe I should get a different courier survice, Aly is not reliable. I can't wait to see pictures of you and the babe. I am so excited for you guys and want to hear all about it. When are you due by the way?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home